Here’s This Guy
- Name: Henry Lee
- Capacity: scientist, photographer, writer, bookmaker
- Languages: English, Hoisan (台山話), Cantonese (廣東話), German, Spanish, French
- Location: Vancouver, Canada
- myRTW: 114000+ kilometres (71000+ miles) in the air, in 389 consecutive days
I write and photograph locations I’ve visited in person. To inquire about
- collaborative work and projects,
- the usage or purchase of my photographs,
please contact me.
- To engage readers (and their eyeballs) with words and photographs.
- To encourage the beautiful art of making a photograph.
- To learn what moves people to create art
- To cultivate interest and travel to Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, because there’s a lot more to these places than beer, clocks, & sausage.
Sometimes, I get the feeling, whether it’s real or imagined, that some are amazed outsiders come and visit towns which are apparently out of the way. Occasionally, it’s the sheer force and inertia of riding all that came before; we follow because masses of people before us set down the well-trodden path. The story gets real, when I stop someone and ask in German a question of history, why is this the way it is, or why they live there; when a particular moment and subsequent recognition present unique opportunities for an interaction that gets me inside a place’s history. While some view history as “boring” or “uninteresting,” it’s knowing little pieces of that background which effectively become a “feel” for the geographic-DNA or -makeup of the city and surrounding region. Sometimes, it’s ugly, and sometimes it’s pedantic. Sometimes, it’s beautiful, but more often than not, it’s necessary.
- “old & busted”: Canon EOS450D (XSi) shutter failure after 5 years of faithful service.
- “new hotness”: Canon EOS6D with 24-105L IS USM, 50/1.4 USM, 70-300 IS USM.
- Profile and interview on Instead of Kids, 12 July 2017.
- Video interview by Ricky Shetty, YouTube, 4 July 2017.
- Guest post on The Red Phone Box Travels, 4 July 2017.
- Featured in Panorama’s 1st Sunday Magazine (British literary travel journal), 9 October 2016.
- Featured on bonjourberlin, 15 April 2016.
- Featured on Misadventures with Andi, 6 October 2015.
- Photograph of Oriole Park at Camden Yards as ‘September 2015’ in the 2015-2016 calendar for the International Union of Bricklayers and Allied Craftworkers
- Featured on Maria Falvey’s Wordless Wednesday, 4 June 2014.
- Featured on A Cook Not Mad’s Honest Food Tales with “Four Ways to Conch in the Bahamas”, 16 May 2014.
- Featured on Maptia with “Skygazing from the Shoulders of the Chilean Andes”, 7 May 2014.
- Guest post “Fotoeins’ 5 Fave Spots in Southern Germany” on GoEuro blog, 4 April 2014.
- Featured on YVR (Vancouver) Bloggers, 3 March 2014.
- Video interview by Ricky Shetty for YVR Bloggers, YouTube, 3 March 2014.
- Guest post “Fotoeins’ Fave 5 Spots in Northern Germany” on GoEuro blog, 20 February 2014.
- Featured on Maptia with “I Love You, Prague”, 16 February 2014.
- Featured on Maptia, Culinary Adventures theme, with “It’s Like Coming Home in Hong Kong”, 1 February 2014.
- Quoted by Lola Åkerström for her presentation, “How Stockholm Is Perceived”, to StockholmsDagen (Stockholm Day), January 2014.
- Featured among GoEuro’s Best Travel Bloggers of 2013, 27 December 2013.
- Guest post “The ABCs of Travel Photography” on GoEuro blog, 21 November 2013.
- Interview for GoEuro, 15 November 2013.
- Interview for The Working Traveler, 2 December 2011.
- My photo as Christmas card for Mr. Farid Müller, member of Hamburg state parliament for Hamburg Mitte, Christmas 2011.
Unless specified, all text and photos here on fotoeins.com are by Henry Lee © 2010-2017.