Above/featured: Bovine goodness with Gasthof Hauserwirt in the background, in Einöden at the outskirts of Wörgl – 13 May 2018.
Österreichische Dörfer auf dem Land
Spending a few weeks exploring Austria in spring between peak winter and summer seasons got me to examine a variety of artistic and cultural aspects, including:
• a search for Erwin Schrödinger’s grave,
• a century of Vienna Modernism,
• a day-trip from Vienna to Bratislava with a boat on the Danube, and
• looking for modern Salzburg beyond Mozart and The Sound of Music,
Because I’m all about trains and buses in Europe, there were many towns encountered: some passed by, and others planned and visited. The following 12 examples of small towns in Austria includes a generous portion of mountains from the Austrian Alps.
- Alpbach, population 2600
- Ellmau, population 2700
- Hainburg an der Donau, population 6200
- Hallstatt, population 800
- Kematen in Tirol, population 2800
- Kreith, population 200
- Mehrn, population 800
- Neustift im Stubaital, 4700
- Oberndorf bei Salzburg, population 5500
- Sankt Jodok am Brenner, population 500
- Scharnitz, population 1300
- Telfes im Stubai, population 1500
I retrieved population estimates using an online search with the town’s name and the word “Einwohnerzahl”; I rounded numbers to the nearest hundred.
( Click here for images and more )