How astronomers sometimes fail at meetings
Dear fellow astro conference participants & speakers :
- If plots are each worth 1000 words, why are text blocks larger than plots on your slides? Less gabbin’, more graphin’ …
- Please face and speak to the audience, not to the screen.
- Would it kill you to greet your audience at the start of your presentation? How about “good morning” or “good afternoon”? No? Really, how were you raised?
- Please respect the present speaker and your fellow attendees by keeping your “important” convos quiet & to a minimum.
- I know you have that all-important earth-shattering paper to write, but please, I really have no need to hear how loud you’re banging on your laptop.
HL – 2330h CEST, 16 Jun 2010.