- German-speaking countries, beyond stereotypes.
- Observations of urbanity and cultural heritage.
HERE’S THIS GUY
- Name: Henry Lee
- Function/capacity: scientist, photographer, writer, bookmaker
- Interests: Europe & Germany; geography, history, Jewish heritage
- Languages: English, Hoisan (台山話), Cantonese (廣東話), German, Spanish, French
- Location: Vancouver, in the Canadian Southwest
I write and photograph locations I’ve visited in person. To inquire about any or all of the following:
- commissions and collaborative projects
- purchase or usage of my photographs in full-resolution and/or prints
please contact me.
- To engage readers (and their eyeballs) with words and photographs.
- To encourage the beautiful art of making a photograph.
- To learn what moves people to create art
- To cultivate interest and travel to Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, because there’s a lot more to these places than beer, clocks, & sausage.
Sometimes, I get the feeling, whether it’s real or imagined, that some are amazed outsiders come and visit towns which are apparently out of the way. Occasionally, it’s the sheer force and inertia of riding all that came before; we follow because masses of people before us set down the well-trodden path. The story gets real, when I stop someone and ask in German a question of history, why is this the way it is, or why they live there; when a particular moment and subsequent recognition present unique opportunities for an interaction that gets me inside a place’s history. While some view history as “boring” or “uninteresting,” it’s knowing little pieces of that background which effectively become a “feel” for the geographic-DNA or -makeup of the city and surrounding region. Sometimes, it’s ugly, and sometimes it’s pedantic. It can be beautiful, but what’s important is simply necessity.
- 2018–: Fujifilm X70 mirrorless APS-C fixed-lens prime (18.5/28).
- 2014–: Canon EOS 6D mark1 (full-frame): 24-105L IS USM, 50/1.4 USM, 70-300 IS USM.
- 2013–2018: Canon EOS 450 (Rebel XSi), died from shutter failure.
- 2005–2008: Canon PowerShot A510.
MASS MEDIA PROMULGATION
Unless specified, all text and photos here on fotoeins.com are by Henry Lee ©.