Above/featured: NM I-25 southbound, between Rosario and Budaghers – 5 Oct 2018 (X70).
In October 2018, we embarked on a modest 2-week driving trip through parts of New Mexico and Arizona. We began in Santa Fe and Albuquerque, drove west towards Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon, south to Tucson, and finally, northeast on the return to Santa Fe. With our first-time attendance at the Balloon Fiesta and first-time visit to the Grand Canyon accomplished, we’d like to examine further the Grand Staircase geographical formation beyond the Utah-Arizona border region and the historical remnants from old highway US route 66.
- 15 driving days, 5th to 19th October inclusive (arrival 4th, departure 20th).
- 3138 miles (5049 kilometres) driving distance recorded by odometer.
- 3 sightings of the Little Colorado River1 in Arizona: Cameron, Point Imperial, Springerville.
- 5202 total images: 3019 (58%) with a Canon 6D, and 2183 (42%) with a Fujifilm X70.
- 10-k image counter reset (“flip”) on the X70: at the junction of US routes 89 and 89A.
- Santa Fe, NM
- Sandia Crest
- Taos & Taos Pueblo
- Continental Divide
- Gallup, NM
- Petrified Forest, AZ
- Bitter Springs
- Marble Canyon
- Point Imperial, Grand Canyon North Rim
- Cape Royal, North Rim
- Little Colorado River Navajo Tribal Park
- Desert View, Grand Canyon South Rim
- Grand Canyon Village, South Rim
- Hermit’s Rest, South Rim
- Sunset Point (Black Canyon City)
- Salt River Canyon
- Springerville, AZ
- Pie Town, NM
5 memorable experiences
- Hot air balloons launching in morning light in Albuquerque, NM.
- Georgia O’Keeffe Home-Studio in Abiquiú, NM.
- Echo and Vermilion Cliffs, along US-89/89A between Cameron & Marble Canyon, AZ.
- First-time at and -view of the Grand Canyon, from the North Rim, AZ.
- Chat with Kathy Knapp in her pie kitchen at Pie-O-Neer in Pie Town, NM.
• See also Albuquerque: highlights in the Duke City
5 great eats
- Mary & Tito’s Café, in Albuquerque, NM: carne adovada sopapilla with green chili.
- Taco Fundación, in Santa Fe, NM: lengua taco, beef cheek taco, deep fried avocado taco.
- Santa Fe Bite, in Santa Fe, NM: home of the “green chile cheeseburger”.
- Satchmo’s, in Flagstaff, AZ: shrimp po’boy sandwich, spicy tots, red beans and rice.
- Pie-O-Neer Café, in Pie Town, NM: delicious pie, made with a lot of love.
• See also: Cozy cafés, Southwest sabores.
- Georgia O’Keeffe Country: Santa Fe to Abiquiú (10 Oct)
- Santa Fe to Taos, including a stop at the Classic Gas Museum in Embudo (11 Oct)
- Santa Fe to Flagstaff, including time at Petrified Forest National Park (12 Oct)
- Flagstaff to Vermilion Cliffs (13 Oct)
- North Rim, Grand Canyon (13 Oct)
- Cliff Dwellers to Grandview Point (14 Oct)
- South Rim, Grand Canyon (14 & 15 Oct)
- Tucson to Santa Fe, including a stop in Pie Town, NM (19 Oct)
1 “Paayu” in Hopi, “Tółchíʼíkooh” in Navajo, “Colorado Chiquito” in Spanish.
I made both images with a Fujifilm X70 fixed-lens prime; alle Fotoaufnahmen sind mit Wasserzeichen versehen worden. Thanks to AB for making this memorable trip possible. This post appears on Fotoeins Fotografie at fotoeins DOT com as https://wp.me/p1BIdT-czc.