ASPIRATION & INTENT
- To become a better storyteller: with words and in photographs.
- To encourage the beautiful art of making a photograph.
- To learn what moves people to create art: design, paint, perform, photograph, sculpt.
- To help realize travel in Europe, & particularly Germany, is worthwhile and not difficult.
- To make photo-books from experiences & memories on travel.
- Name: Henry Lee
- Birthplace: Vancouver, Canada
- Languages: English, German, Hoisan (台山話), Cantonese (廣東話), French, Spanish
- Produced & published photo-book “Basilian Days”
- My around-the-world (RTW): 389 consecutive days, 24 Dec 2011 – 15 Jan 2013
- Past life: Recovering astronomer
- New life? That’s unfolding every moment, within every passing day.
FIND & FOLLOW ME
You can find and follow me at any of the following:
- About.me: about.me/fotoeins
- Facebook Page: fb.me/fotoeins
- Facebook profile: fb.me/henrylflee
- Flickr: flic.kr/zustand
- Foursquare: foursquare.com/fotoeins
- Google+ profile: G+ profile
- Instagram: instagr.am/fotoeins
- LinkedIn: www.linked.com/in/henrylflee
- Pinterest: pinterest.com/fotoeins
- Tumblr: fotoeins.tumblr.com
- Twitter: twitter.com/fotoeins (@fotoeins)
WHERE I’VE BEEN THUS FAR …
- Argentina: Buenos Aires, Cataratas del Iguazú
- Australia: Adelaide, SA; Arthurs Seat, VIC; Canberra, ACT; Hahndorf, SA; Kangaroo Island, SA; Katoomba, NSW; Newcastle, NSW; Melbourne, VIC; Perth, WA; Rottnest Island, WA; Sorrento, VIC; Sydney, NSW; Woy Woy, NSW
- Austria: Salzburg, Wien
- Bahamas: Nassau (New Providence), Georgetown (Exuma)
- Brazil: Curitiba, Foz do Iguaçu
- Canada: Brossard, QC; Calgary, AB; Campbell River, BC; Comox, BC; Edmonton, AB; Gibsons, BC; Guelph, ON; Hamilton, ON; Hull, ON; Kamloops, BC; Kenora, ON; Kingston, ON; Kitchener-Waterloo, ON; London, ON; Montréal, QC; Nanaimo, BC; Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON; Ottawa, ON; Penticton, BC; Revelstoke, BC; Québec City, QC; Regina, SK; Saskatoon, SK; Thunder Bay, ON; Toronto, ON; Vancouver, BC; Victoria, BC; Winnipeg, MB
- Chile: Coquimbo, Santiago, La Serena, Pisco Elquí, Vicuña
- Czech Republic: Kutná Hora, Praha
- Denmark: Helsingør, København
- England: Cambridge, London
- France: Lyon
- Germany: Aachen, Bamberg, Berlin, Bielefeld, Bochum, Bonn, Bremen, Bremerhaven, Cuxhaven, Darmstadt, Dresden, Essen, Frankfurt am Main, Freiburg im Breisgau, Fulda, Garching bei München, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Grainau, Hamburg, Heidelberg, Köln, Ladenburg, Lübeck, Lüneburg, Mannheim, München, Nürnberg, Passau, Potsdam, Schwangau, Speyer, Stuttgart, Tegernsee, Trier, Warnemünde, Worms, Zugspitze
- Hong Kong (香港)
- Italy: Cornigilia, Manarola, Monterosso, Rapallo, Riomaggiore, Vernazza
- Macau (澳門)
- México: Ciudad de México, Ensenada, Guanajuato, Parque Nacional Sierra de San Pedro Mártir, San Miguel de Allende, Teotihuacan, Tijuana
- New Zealand: Akaroa, Auckland, Christchurch, Dunedin, Fox Glacier Township, Franz Josef Glacier Township, Greymouth, Picton, Queenstown, Wellington
- Scotland: Edinburgh
- South Africa: Cape Town
- Spain: Grenada, Madrid, Sevilla
- Sweden: Stockholm, Vaxholm
- Switzerland: Lucerne, Pilatus, Zürich
- USA: Alomogordo, NM; Atlanta, GA; Austin, TX; Baltimore, MD; Bentonville, AR; Bloomington, IN; Cape Canaveral, FL; Dallas, TX; Eugene, OR; Fayetteville, AR; Gainesville, FL; Hawi, HI; Hilo, HI; Honolulu, HI; Houston, TX; Kailua-Kona, HI; Los Angeles, CA; Middletown, CT; Minneapolis, MN; Monterey, CA; Oakland, CA; Orlando, FL; Portland, OR; Sacramento, CA; Saint Paul, MN; San Antonio, TX; San Diego, CA; San Francisco, CA; San Luis Obispo, CA; Seattle, WA; South Lake Tahoe, CA; Stateline, NV; Stockton, CA; Tucson, AZ; Washington, DC
- Vietnam: Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Mỹ Tho (Mekong River Delta)
- Wales: Cardiff, Penarth
CREDITS & MENTIONS
- Featured on YVR (Vancouver) Bloggers, 3 March 2014.
- Video interview by Ricky Shetty, YouTube, 3 March 2014.
- Guest post “Fotoeins’ Fave 5 Spots in Northern Germany” on GoEuro blog, 20 February 2014.
- Featured on Maptia with “I Love You, Prague”, 16 February 2014.
- Featured on Maptia, Culinary Adventures theme, with “It’s Like Coming Home in Hong Kong”, 1 February 2014.
- Quoted by Lola Åkerström for her presentation, “How Stockholm Is Perceived”, to StockholmsDagen (Stockholm Day), January 2014.
- Featured among GoEuro’s Best Travel Bloggers of 2013, 27 December 2013.
- Guest post “The ABCs of Travel Photography” on GoEuro blog, 21 November 2013.
- Interview for GoEuro, 15 November 2013.
- Interview for The Working Traveler, 2 December 2011.
- My photo as Christmas card for Mr. Farid Müller, member of Hamburg state parliament for Hamburg Mitte, Christmas 2011.
WORDS ON PHOTOGRAPHY
Through photographs, the world becomes a series of unrelated, free-standing particles; and history, past and present, a set of anecdotes and faits divers. The camera makes reality atomic, manageable, and opaque. It is a view of the world which denies interconnectedness, continuity, but which confers on each moment the character of a mystery. (Susan Sontag, 1977)
“I like to look at pictures, all kinds. And all those things you absorb come out subconsciously one way or another. You’ll be taking photographs and suddenly know that you have resources from having looked at a lot of them before. There is no way that you can avoid this. But this kind of subconscious influence is good, and it certainly can work for one. In fact, the more pictures you see, the better you are as a photographer.” (Robert Mapplethorpe, from “Portrait:Theory”, Lustrum Press, 1981)
Photographers do not cure like a doctor, defend like a lawyer, analyze like a scholar, offer support like a priest, amuse like a raconteur or intoxicate like a singer, they simply look. That is enough—no, that is all. For a photographer, to look is everything. That is why photographers must continue to look things through and through. Photographers should gaze at their subjects head on, their whole form becoming an eye as they face the world. To stake their everything on looking, that is to be a photographer. (Shomatsu Tomei, from “The Pencil of the Sun”, Mainichi Shimbun, 1975)
My actual process — on the surface — is not so complicated. I sense, I almost smell the possibility of a photograph. I try to follow the rhythm of the streets. Sometimes I walk through situations, sometimes I hang out. It all depends on what the world gives me. In the afterword to his book “Travelogue,” Charles Harbutt talks about how it’s not only that he’s looking for a photograph, but that sometimes the photograph is also looking for him. I like this notion. (Alex Webb, on photographsonthebrain)
For me, photography is an act of defiance and confrontation against the blinding impact of increasingly accelerated imagery – a pause in which to wonder at and appreciate the world’s peculiarities and complexities; to provide, as Robert Frost once described poetry, ‘a momentary stay against confusion’. (Robert Walker)
One very important difference between color and monochromatic photography is this: in black and white you suggest; in color you state. Much can be implied by suggestion, but statement demands certainty … absolute certainty. (Paul Outerbridge)
Unless specified, all text and photos here on fotoeins.com are by Henry Lee © 2010-2014.